1. From the Course Tools menu select Groups.
2. Click New Category (you have to create a group category first – before creating the groups).
3. Add a category name and a group description.
4. Set the enrolment type:
# of Groups – No Auto enrolments: creates a specified number of groups and does not automatically enrol students on these groups.
Groups of #: automatically creates a number of groups with a specified number of students enrolled on each group.
# of Groups: creates a specified number of groups and automatically enrols students on each group.
# of Groups – Self Enrolment: creates a specified number of groups; students enrol themselves on to a group.
# of Groups, Capacity of # – Self Enrolment: creates a specified number of groups, each with a maximum capacity of members; students enrol themselves on to a group.
Single user, member specific groups: creates a group area for each individual student on the module.
5. Having made your choice: add in the appropriate number and set the Group Prefix (what each group will be called – in this example the Groups would be Study Group 1, Study Group 2).
6. Set the advanced properties. E.g. students are randomly enrolled on a group.
6. Set the additional options. You can give each group a discussion forum area. Give each group a locker – this is an area they can upload and share files amongst the group. Set a group assignment (this is not a Turnitin assignment). And click Save.
Selecting the new group from the category menu will display the group details. Group names, number of group members, and any assignments, discussion forums or file sharing lockers that are available to the group.