This approach is to be employed for timetabled synchronous sessions that are to be delivered via Blackboard Collaborate Ultra or a Microsoft Teams meeting. This process has been designed to ensure that students will be able to access their synchronous sessions from the Blackboard module shell in a way that is both straightforward and consistent across all modules.
The source information for this approach is the academic register.
If you are intending to deliver your synchronous sessions via a Microsoft Class Teams meeting:
- Identify the date and time for your synchronous sessions from your academic register.
- Use the student list associated with each synchronous session to generate a Blackboard group with no tools available to the students. Guidance for setting up Blackboard groups is available via this link.
- Ensure that that group name includes _msteams at the end.
- Include the name of the tutor associated with each group in the group name.
Please note that the Team created will not be automatically updated to include any students added to your cohort as late enrolments. To ensure that these new students are added to a Microsoft Class Team they will need to be manually added to the correct group in Blackboard. The Microsoft Class Team will be updated overnight to include any new students.
Watch a video of this guide.
The _msteams suffix will ensure that a corresponding Class Team is set up in Office 365. This process will take approximatley 24 hours to complete.
If a Class Team for all students on a module is required then a single group will need to be produced in that Blackboard shell with the _msteams suffix in the group name.
All Instructors on the Blackboard module shell will by default become Teachers on the Team(s) created during this process. For example; if four groups are created on one shell to ensure four tutorial groups are made in Teams, each instructor will be added to all four of the Teams and receive all notifications for each of the four Teams.
- MS Class Teams links are made available in a specified Blackboard content area – we recommend that this employs a content area link in the left-hand menu. Guidance for setting up a Blackboard content area is available at this link.
- If multiple Blackboard groups (and hence, Teams) have been created then the meeting links can be added with adaptive release. Guidance for setting the adaptive release of content folders is available at this link.
Meeting links can be copied directly from the calendar invite to a particular Class Team meeting. Please ensure that the header is changed to include the Date, time and tutors name.
If you have set up a single Class Team for a large cohort and are intending to run multiple sessions (repeated) for sub groups. These sub groups should be set up in Blackboard first, which will enable the formation of separate Teams.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
If you are intending to deliver your synchronous sessions via Blackboard Collaborate Ultra:
- Identify the date and time for each synchronous session from your academic register.
- For each session within a specific module set up a Blackboard Collaborate Ultra session. Information about setting up Blackboard Collaborate Ultra sessions is available at this link.
- Your session link includes the date and time (this should match with information on the student timetable).
- Your name is included in the session title.
- Session access links are made available in a specified content area – we recommend that this employs a content area link in the left-hand menu. Guidance for setting up a Blackboard content area is available at this link.
- In modules with repeated sessions and multiple tutors students are reminded that they should only attend the session that matches the detail on their timetable.
If the module team decide to set up separate Blackboard Groups, each with their own synchronous meeting details. Guidance for setting up Blackboard groups is available via this link. Guidance for setting the adaptive release of content folders is available at this link.