If you would like to use the features within a Class Team such as channel discussions, file sharing and Class Notebook with your students, you can create a Class Team based on a Blackboard group.
By creating a group in Blackboard following the steps in this guide you will create a corresponding Microsoft Class Team.
Creating a Blackboard Group with all enrolled students included.
Watch a video of this guide.
1. From the Blackboard shell click on Users and Groups>Groups.
2. Move the mouse over the Create button and click on ‘Manual Enrol’ under Single Group.
3. In the Name field include the module code and title followed by _msteams.
4. Ensure group is visible to students is set to No.
5. Under TOOL AVAILABILITY ensure that all tools are unticked.
6. Click the Add Users button.
7. Ensure that the ‘Show all users regardless of role’ check box is selected to ensure that staff members (Instructors) are included. Then click the Go button. This is important as you MUST have at least one (1) instructor in the group in order for a Team to be generated.
6. To ensure all students on the module are included click the Show All button toward the bottom of the screen.
9. Click the Select All box to select all students in the list and click Submit to finish creating the group.
09. The Group is now created. In approximately 24 hours a corresponding Microsoft Class Team will have been created.
All Blackboard Instructors (DMU staff, External Examiners, Guest Lecturers etc.) who are enrolled on the Blackboard shell will be added to the MS Class Team with Owner status. Please review these enrolments once the Class Team is created and remove any Owners that might not necessarily require access to the MS Class Team.
Links to the Class Team can be made available in a Blackboard content area.
Updating the Class team membership
If students leave or join the module mid-semester, you must ensure that the Blackboard Group membership is updated. The Microsoft Class Team will be updated overnight to reflect the updated group membership in Blackboard.