The Create File feature allows you to upload content to your course site and creates a link on your course page to the file. Files can be uploaded in their original format (such as .doc or .pdf or .ppt documents) and when students click on the link created, the files are downloaded to the student's computer (these files will open in their browser depending on the browser used and the computer setup). HTML or web supported graphic files (such as .jpg's or .png or .gif's) can also be added, which can be viewed directly within the Blackboard page.
Note: Because Blackboard is cross platform (works on Macs and PC's) all files should have a three letter file extension (such as .doc or .pdf or .ppt), which designates its file type. To prevent conflicts, file names should contain no spaces or special characters except the underscore (_) and only one dot/full stop [.] before the file extension (ex: HomeWork_One.doc)
1. Click on a desired Content Area in your course menu (i.e. Course Documents, Assignments, etc…).
3. Click 'File' under the Create header
4. Browse for the file:
Browse My Computer – Browse your computer and select a file.
Browse Course Files – Attach a file that has previuosly been uploaded to your course. More information on Course Files
5. Enter a name for the file into the Name field.
6. Choose whether to have the file Open in a New Window by setting the yes or no radio button
7. Ignore the option Add Alignment to content and leave this to No
8. Set the standard options as you wish:
Do you want to permit users to view the content item?
By selecting yes, you are allowing your students to see the document. Typically, documents are made "invisible" when you don't want students to access them yet. You can change this at any time.
Do you want to track number of views?
This option lets you track how often individual users view the document.
Select Date and Time Restrictions
This option lets you set the dates that the document will be visible and invisible. This automates the "permit users to view the content item" option.
9. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Submit button.