The modify users feature allows instructors to view the entire class roster (with email address) as well as modify a specific user’s role in the course. Typical uses of the modify feature are to make someone a Teaching Assistant or to add a co-instructor.
Modifying a user
With Edit Mode On:
- Under the control panel, on the bottom left side of the page, click on Users and Groups. Now click on Users.
- To see the entire class list, click on the Go button with a % in the Search field.
- To find a specific user, type their name in the Search field and click the Go button.
Note: To search using a student’s first name requires the ‘Search’ field to be set to ‘Firstname’ using teh drop-down arrow.
- Click on the single down arrow next to the user’s name and click on Change User’s Role in Course.
- Select the role that you want this user to have.
- Click the Submit button.
- Student – This role allows you to access all available course content and is included in the Grade Center.
- Instructor – This role allows you to control all aspects of the course.
- Teaching Assistant – This role allows you to control most aspects of the course.
- Course Builder – This role allows you to add content to the course.
- Grader – This role allows you to access the Grade Center and other options related to grading.Guest – This role allows you to view areas of the course, but not participate in the course
Q: What are the different roles used for?
A: Different roles allow access to different features of the Blackboard system.
Q: What does Available mean?
A: Available status means to have access to the course site. If Yes is selected for this question, the user will have access to the course Web site. If No is selected, the user will not be able to access the course.